Mon, 16 Oct|
Akrotiri Archaeology Tour BOOKINGS NOW CLOSED
Discover the ancient places with archaeologist Frank Haggerty, by permission of RAF Akrotiri
Time & Location
16 Oct 2023, 09:30 – 12:00
RAF Akrotiri, RAF Akrotiri 4640, UK
About the Event
A wealth of ancient sites can be found at Akrotiri and we are lucky to have as our guide Frank Haggerty. He is an Associate of the Chartered Institute of Archaeologists and his fascinating talks bring the past to life.
This visit will include a trip to see
· the Greco Roman Lania caves
· the Roman track with graves and tombs and quarry
· uncut millstones still in the cliff tops
· the ancient harbour at Dreamers Bay
These sites are well spread out so we will use four-wheel drive vehicles and share cars so that four or five people go in each - depending on numbers. The locations are exposed on the cliff tops so bring sunscreen water & mosquito repellent. Sensible footwear is necessary as some tracks are uneven.
Meeting point Meet at the large open area outside the main gate which is on the left before the pass office. IMPORTANT! See instructions below for entrance to RAF Akrotiri.
A donation of 5 euro CIWOT Members/ 10 euro Non-members is gratefully received to go to Frank Haggerty’s chosen charity, St Lazarus, which helps people with leprosy. Maximum number on the tour 20
Husbands and adult children are welcome.
Trip organised by Susanne Wilkinson. Reserve your space on our website or contact Christine Keeble Watson email@example.com
IMPORTANT! ACCESS TO AKROTIRI RAF BASE IS RESTRICTED - IF YOU WISH TO COME YOU MUST FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY:
1. By 4th October latest: Supply us with your name, address, date of birth, place of birth and passport number (it must be received at least 7 working days before the visit). Email these details to Christine Keeble Watson firstname.lastname@example.org
2. You will need to bring your PASSPORT with you to be allowed to enter RAF Akrotiri
3. Those bringing a vehicle onto base will need to show their insurance document in hard copy form and please check that it is in date otherwise the vehicle will not be allowed on site.